Dear students and parents,
With summer holidays quickly approaching, I thought I would take this opportunity to provide you with some information regarding Confirmation. Now celebrated when students are in grade 7, the sacrament of Confirmation is a decision to grow deeper, stronger and ever more faithful in relationship with Jesus. It is a decision that brings you to a point of spiritual maturity as you complete your sacraments of initiation, and launches you into another phase of Catholic Christian relationship. Over the summer months, we invite your family to spend some time in prayer and discussion to decide if you would like to have your child receive Confirmation; and are able to wholeheartedly commit to all that it entails.
In September, there will be mandatory Information/Registration meetings at the Church for students and their parents who would like to receive the sacrament of Confirmation during the 2018/2019 school year.
The requirements for receiving Confirmation at St. Francis de Sales Parish are as follows:
- Be a registered Parishioner of St. Francis de Sales Parish
- Attend Sunday Mass weekly at a Catholic Church (passport program in place for children preparing for their Sacraments)
- Be in grade 7 or higher
- Register for Confirmation by attending a registration meeting in September, and submitting a completed registration form at this time (forms will be available in the fall)
- Submit a photocopy of your child’s Baptismal certificate and the $75.00 fee to cover the cost of programme materials at the registration meeting
- Participate fully in all catechetical sessions throughout the year
Sacraments are meant to be celebrated in the parish where you regularly worship. If you attend St. Francis de Sales Parish, then this is where your child should be Confirmed. If you attend regularly at another Catholic parish, then that is where your child should receive their sacrament. If your child was baptized Catholic in the Eastern rite, your child received the sacrament of Confirmation at their baptism. Your child is welcome to participate in the program to learn about the sacrament, but will not receive Confirmation since they have already been Confirmed. If your child was baptized in the Catholic Church, however your family is currently practicing another faith, this program is not suitable for your child at this time.
We pray that you and your family have a safe and enjoyable summer season. We look forward to seeing you at Mass each week and in September at our registration meeting.
God bless you,
Rev. Joseph Singh