Dear parents of our First Reconciliation and First Communion children,
As we get closer to the end of another wonderful school year, we wanted to send some information to think about over the summer. Your child in Grade 2, with the help of our Catholic teachers, the sacramental team and our priests, will be preparing for two great sacraments; that of First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion. It is a very important year in your child’s formation as a Catholic individual. We are happy to embark upon this special year with you and your family as you grow deeper and stronger and ever more faithful in your duty and role as Catholic parents.
In September, we will be having an Information/Registration meeting at the Church for you and your child that must be attended in order to receive the sacraments during the 2018/2019 year. The requirements for receiving First Reconciliation and First Communion at St. Francis de Sales Parish are as follows:
- Be a registered Parishioner of St. Francis de Sales Parish
- Attend Sunday Mass weekly at a Catholic Church (passport program will be in place for children preparing for their Sacraments)
- Be in Grade 2 to 6 (parents feel their child is ready for this sacrament)
- Register for First Reconciliation and First Communion by attending the Registration Meeting in September and submitting the completed sacramental registration form at this time (for the grade 2’s attending one of our 6 parish schools, the forms will be given to the students by their grade 2 teachers in September , all other registration forms can be picked up at the parish office in September)
- Submit a photocopy of your child’s Baptismal certificate and the $60.00 fee to cover the cost of programme materials at the registration meeting. If your child is not Baptized or is Baptized in another faith, please join the September meeting for further information on the RCIC program
- Participate in all catechetical sessions throughout the year
Sacraments are meant to be celebrated in the parish where you regularly worship. If you attend St. Francis de Sales, then this is where your child should receive their First Reconciliation and First Communion. If you attend regularly at any other Catholic parish, then that is where your child should receive their sacrament. If your child was Baptized in the Catholic church, however your family is currently practicing another faith, this program is not suitable for your child at this time.
May God bless you and keep you and your family healthy and safe during your summer holidays. Enjoy all those special moments together as a family and we look forward to seeing all of you at our registration meeting in September!
Rev. Massimo Buttigieg