Congratulations to all of the children who received their First Communion over the last few weeks. It was so nice to see all of you in person. We pray that you continue to keep that excitement to receive Jesus each week at Mass. A big thank you to all our First Communion families for your patience and support this year and to all our volunteers that helped make this day so special. Parents, you truly are the first teachers of the faith and your children are so blessed to have you to learn more about Jesus and to keep a beautiful relationship with him through weekly Mass and daily prayer. Jesus said “Let the children come to me, and do not prevent them; for the Kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” We pray you all have a happy, healthy and safe summer where you can rest, recharge and renew. God bless,
Mrs. Selda and Father David
FIRST COMMUNION REGISTRATION FOR 2021/2022
Dear parents of our grade 1 and 2 students,
As we get closer to the end of another wonderful but unique school year, we wanted to send some information to think about over the summer. Your child in Grade 2, with the help of our Catholic teachers, the sacramental team and our priests, will be preparing for two great sacraments; that of First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion. We understand that many families were not comfortable registering their child for their sacraments during their grade 2 year due to the pandemic. Please remember that grade 2 is the first year but not the only year your child can receive First Reconciliation and First Communion and we do anticipate a higher number of grade 3 students registering in the fall. It is a very important year in your child’s formation as a Catholic individual. We are happy to embark upon this special year with you and your family as you grow deeper and stronger and ever more faithful in your duty and role as Catholic parents.
In September, we will be having an Information/Registration meeting at the Church for you and your child that must be attended in order to receive the sacraments during the 2021/2022 year. The requirements for receiving First Reconciliation and First Communion at St. Francis de Sales Parish are as follows:
- Be a registered Parishioner of St. Francis de Sales Parish
- Attend Sunday Mass weekly (passport program will be in place for children preparing for their Sacraments)
- Be in Grade 2 or higher (when parents feel their child is ready for this sacrament)
- Register for First Reconciliation and First Communion by attending the Registration Meeting in September and submitting the completed sacramental registration form at this time (for the Grade 2s attending one of our 6 parish schools, the forms will be given to the students by their Grade 2 teachers in September , all other registration forms can be picked up at the parish office in September)
- Submit a photocopy of your child’s Baptismal certificate and the $75.00 fee to cover the cost of programme materials at the registration meeting. If your child is not Baptized or is Baptized in another faith, please join the September meeting for further information on the RCIC program (Rite of Christian Initiation for Children) and First Communion
- Participate in all catechetical sessions throughout the year
Sacraments are meant to be celebrated in the parish where you regularly worship. If you attend St. Francis de Sales, then this is where your child should receive their First Reconciliation and First Communion. If you attend regularly at any other Catholic parish, then that is where your child should receive their sacrament. If your child was baptized in the Catholic Church and your family is currently practising another faith, this program is not suitable for your child.
May God bless you and keep you and your family healthy and safe during your summer holidays. Enjoy all those special moments together as a family and we look forward to seeing all of you at our registration meeting in September!
Fr. David Twaddle